Bay City, Michigan 48706
Front Page Photo of the Day Log-IN About us
www.mybaycity.com February 7, 2008
(Prior Story)   Opinion ArTicle 2294   (Next Story)

Clinton, Obama Down to the Wire As McCain Veep Speculation Grows

Obama Surge Not Over - Pundits Can't Sharpen Predictions Fast Enough

February 7, 2008       Leave a Comment
By: Dave Rogers

Printer Friendly Story View

Presidential Election Races May Come Down to the Wire
 

Could it be that John McCain's choice of a running mate would determine the fate of the 2008 Presidential election?

And could it be that voters' weariness with the Clinton team, Hill and Bill, may determine the Democratic nominee?

In a primary tussle where delegates from American Samoa may be a key, the old Democratic saw first quipped by humorist Will Rogers is recalled: "I don't belong to an organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

The Dems don't hold that distinction alone these days, what with the ultra-conservative talk show cabal of Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity jumping the McCain ship.


And, good Lord, Ms. Coulter threatening to back Hillary!!!!

Thankfully, the intolerance of the talk wackos is not limited to the Democrats/Liberals, Dem party chief Howard Dean was heard to mutter.

On a bleary-eyed Wednesday morning after the Super Tuesday marathon, Rasmussen Poll shows Clinton with a 52 percent chance of capturing the nomination while Obama has a 48 percent chance. A week ago, Clinton was given a 62 percent chance of winning.

Rasmussen market results suggest that the Democratic race will not be settled any time soon. On Wednesday morning, here is just a 15 percent expectation that Obama will leave the race by the end of February. That number is 12 percent for Clinton.

McCain's ship may hit an iceberg if, as is being rumored, he picks the stodgiest of Conservative doughfaces, former U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, from Texas, as his running mate. In the first place, Gov. Charlie Crist of Florida will be crestfallen, and you know what happens in Florida when the polls close. Also, two candidates from the same southeast region may leave the rest of the nation cold.

The wise pick for a McCain veep would be either Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee,or even Crist, who orchestrated John's Florida primary win, in our view. But John is nothing else if not his own man and is seldom swayed by anything but his own thoughts.

A Wednesday morning look at the prospects for the Democrats number two slot show Obama, Evan Bayh, Al Gore, and Bill Richardson as the leading candidates. However, none is given even a 20 per cent chance of being selected.

AL GORE!!! Why would the Inconvenient "Truthmeister" want another term in the second slot? From all reports, he would as soon run with Ann Coulter as with Hillary.

In our demented way, we could still see Gore charging into the convention in Denver on the white horse of the Nobel Prize, sweeping the deadlocked delegates off their collective feet.

Well, these are times the improbably is happening, but probably not that improbable.

Hillary is angling for the party to reinstate the Michigan and Florida delegates purged in the wisdom of the party for holding a primary before receiving the imprimatur.

We're banking on the party to do the irrational thing and bow to her wishes, but only after Bill takes the matter to the wall.

In fact, Michigan may prove to be the key, if the delegates are reinstated.

How ironic would that be after all the hullabaloo?



Printer Friendly Story View
Prior Article

September 12, 2019
by: Kathy Rupert-Mathews
MOVIE REVIEW: "It Chapter Two" ... I Loved It
Next Article

August 26, 2019
by: Rachel Reh
River Jordan Ribbon Cutting is BACC Hot Spot for 8/26/2019
Agree? or Disagree?


Dave Rogers

Dave Rogers is a former editorial writer for the Bay City Times and a widely read,
respected journalist/writer in and around Bay City.
(Contact Dave Via Email at carraroe@aol.com)

More from Dave Rogers

Send This Story to a Friend!       Letter to the editor       Link to this Story
Printer-Friendly Story View


--- Advertisments ---
     


0200 Nd: 09-12-2019 d 4 cpr 0





SPONSORED LINKS

LOCAL LINKS
(Ads not affiliated with Google)




Ads By MyBayCity.com
Begick
http://begicknursery.com/
Begick Nursery and Garden Center

Ads By MyBayCity.com
Historical Press - By Dave Rogers
Purchase Your Copy Today!
http://www.amazon.com/D.Laurence-Rogers/e/B001KCA8ZY/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Ads By MyBayCity.com
Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
Click Here to Visit Our Site!
Improving The Economic Climate, Business Environment & Quality of Living Throughout The Bay Area





Designed at OJ Advertising, Inc. (V3) (v3) Software by Mid-Michigan Computer Consultants
Bay City, Michigan USA
All Photographs and Content Copyright © 1998 - 2019 by OJA/MMCC. They may be used by permission only.
P3V3-0200 (1) 0   ID:Default   UserID:Default   Type:reader   R:x   PubID:mbC   NewspaperID:noPaperID
  pid:1560   pd:11-18-2012   nd:2019-09-12   ax:2019-09-16   Site:5   ArticleID:2294   MaxA: 999999   MaxAA: 999999
CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)