www.mybaycity.com August 28, 2012
Rotary Article 7325

Saginaw Children's Zoo Subject of Rotary Program

August 28, 2012
By: Stephen Kent



Nancy Parker holds drawing for art work
Nancy Parker, Executive Directory of the Children's Zoo at Celebration Square in Saginaw, spoke to Rotary about the mission and activities at the Saginaw Zoo.

Opened in 1929, the "Municipal Zoo" was operated by the City of Saginaw until management was transferred to the Saginaw Valley Zoological Society in 1996, when it became a non-profit organization.

Under the new management the zoo has been making capital improvements to the tune of $600,000 a year. It is now accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), making it one of only 225 accredited zoos nationwide and the fifth in Michigan. It's the only accredited zoo in the north half of the state.

Accreditation means that the zoo meets standards such as Safety and security, animal care and welfare, wildlife conservation, and science education. The zoo participates in species survival plans for smaller animals and exchanges animals with other AZA zoos.


Robin Carea and Gabby
Today the zoo has developed 10 acres and has 16 more to be developed. There are over 160 animals exhibited with an emphasis on an "up close and personal" experience for visitors. The zoo operated a miniature train in the park and has a hand carved carousel.

The vision is "A regional Destination celebrating Nature, Wildlife, and Lifelong Discovery through affordable and engaging experiences". The day to day mission is "To be a resource to the Great Lakes Bay Region through recreation, education and conservation."

As a community based organization, the Zoo promoted learning while having fun in a safe environment. Almost a million people have visited the zoo in the last eleven years. 73% of funding is generated on-site with the other 27% coming from donations.

Nancy was joined by Robin Carey who brought parrot "Gabby", who is used for educational visits. Gabby was very vocal and illustrated well the type of visits made by the Zoo.



CLUB NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS



Rob Clark reminded everyone to work with their teams to get auction items for the 20th anniversary International Night to be held on Thursday, October 11 this year, from 5:30 to 9:00 pm at the Doubletree. Check the club's International Night web page for teams and other information.

Tim Holsworth reminded everyone that the club's Golf Tournament us fast approaching on September 17 . If you are going to play please contact Tim as soon as you can. If you have questions LINK to the Golf page on the club web site.

Jerome updated the club on the Paul Harris statue planned for the Depot. Do-All helped get a park bench shipped to the sculptor so that the statue can be positioned.

Remember how to contribute to the clean water campaign and contest:
Put SILVER in OUR JUG --- PUT BILLS (and checks) in the MORNING JUG



DATES TO REMEMBER


The Annual Golf Outing will be held September 17. See the announcement and info page at RotaryBayCity.org or see Tim Holsworth for details.

International Night, Sea to Shining Sea, is scheduled for October 11, 2012.


Upcoming Programs

(See the official schedule at RotaryBayCity.org )

Sept 4, 2012: 10 Minute Rotarian

Sept 11, 2012: Chamber of Commerce JoEllen Strieter will talk about the Chamber's Education Partnership.

Sept 18, 2012: Anatoliy Lotarev Exchange Student from Spain visits club.




Current and past DISTRICT DISPATCH newsletters are available on the District site shown in the LINKS section below.

Get connected with ROTARY on Facebook.
Over 450 people like us. Let's go for 500 people liking our page!
www.facebook.com/BayCityRotary

Rotary Bay City on Facebook
Rotary Bay City on Facebook!
Click on the Blue Facebook to visit us there.

Remember! Check attendance sheets at the front desk.


LINKS

RotaryBayCity.org BayCityMorningRotary.com
District 6310 Web Site District Dispatch Archive
Rotary International Make-up On-Line at RotaryEclubOne.org
The Rotary Global History Fellowship rotaryfirst100.org
Rotary Global History.


0202 nd 11-12-2018

Designed at OJ Advertising, Inc. (V3) (v3) Software by Mid-Michigan Computer Consultants
Bay City, Michigan USA
All Photographs and Content Copyright © 1998 - 2018 by OJA/MMCC. They may be used by permission only.
P3V3-0200 (1) 0   ID:Default   UserID:Default   Type:reader   R:x   PubID:mbC   NewspaperID:noPaperID
  pid:1560   pd:11-18-2012   nd:2018-11-12   ax:2018-11-16   Site:5   ArticleID:7325   MaxA: 999999   MaxAA: 999999
CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)